The PHADA Commissioner’s Conference will be held at the Hyatt Market Place, San Diego, California, January 10 – 14, 2022. Mr. Felix P. Nater’s onsite presentation on January 10th will address workplace security and workplace violence issues around returning to work during a Covid-19, risk mitigation, challenges, and opportunities. It will discuss potential exigent circumstances requiring de-escalation, compassion, and empathy rather than discipline as the workforce returns from remote locations or working from home. Stress and anxiety will drive the workplace relationship, how interaction takes place will determine understanding of the issues. The intent is to begin discussion around the importance of creating a mindset and approach that support a prevention philosophy. The presentation objectives will address:
- Role of Housing Authority leaders in providing for a safe and secure workplace as a process.
- Approach, understanding and application of the needed mindset.
- OSHA and the employer’s responsibility in providing for a workplace free of recognizable hazards.
- OSHA’s definitions, expectations, concerns, and impact of workplace violence.
- Covid-19 “Return to Work Risk Mitigation Challenges and Opportunities”.
- Leadership and violence prevention as solutions.
Ultimately, underscore the importance of management not viewing the “Covide-19 Return to Work” as a new normal yet, but rather a transitional interim towards a more stabilized period where employers and the workforce can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Organizational response means – prevention through a process called integration, collaboration, and coordination of effort and resources in better managing potential risks affecting people and the bottom-line.
“Most organizations have developed a functional blindness to their own defects. They are not suffering because they cannot resolve their problems because they cannot see their problems.” ~ John W. Gardner, Leadership